Manage Mailing Lists
All mailing list owners should be familiar with the user documentation for VTN
In addition to the commands available to list subscriber, a mail list
owner has access to a number of commands that are needed to...
- unsubscribe a user who is unable for some reason to accept mail
- assist someone who is having trouble subscribing or unsubscribing.
- or, update the info file (welcome message)
Remember: The ownership of a busy mailing list is a significant
responsibility and will usually require daily attention to ensure
things don't get out of hand
Mailing Lists are managed by sending email messages addressed to majordomo.
This document describes the commands used by a list owner for managing a
'majordomo' mailing lists.
A typical mail message is
firstname.lastname@example.org with a message in the body. Majordomo responds by
email which normally takes a few minutes.
Majordomo will accept more than one command in a message... simply place
each command on a separate line.
If you are sending a command and can't be bothered deleting your
signature or other text in the message place the end command on
a separate line... majordomo will ignore any text it finds after this
Common commands/actions that require a password
- approve password subscribe listname address
- Approve a non-routine subscribe request concerning list
- approve password unsubscribe listname address
- Approve a non-routine unsubscribe request concerning list
- newinfo listname password
- Provide a new "info" message for list, to be sent in response
to "info" and "subscribe" requests. (*This is sometimes called the
- passwd listname old-password new-password
- Change the password for list
There are several other password commands that a listowner can use to
change the status of a list but these should be used with great care. If
you are not _very_ sure how your changes will impact on the operation of a
list... you should consult the local mailing list administrator.