ANNOUNCEMENT - PPP internet access
*** Users may now register for our PPP (graphical) access.
Software requirements for graphical access:
- PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) is available to all registered users.
There are a variety of plans available, each providing a certain number of hours
per month -- see the PPP Fees page for details.
- PPP is a pay service, billed as a total cost per year. See the
PPP Fees page for details.
- The above charge may be made by one single payment (preferred). Monthly
payment plans (using post-dated cheques) are negotiable, but will cost
slightly more than yearly payments.
- Accounts will be operational as soon as possible after payment is
received (i.e. within 48 hours). Usually the same day...
- Use "dial-up networking" on a PC that has Windows 95 or 98.
Windows 3.1 needs Trumpet Winsock.
Macintosh - Mac TCP or OpenTransport PPP
- PPP will be activated on the same user ID. This new feature does not
affect your e-mail or account usage for regular serial dial-up.
PPP connection software and a graphical browser such as Netscape or
Internet Explorer or for non-Windows DOS computers - Arachne.
You may also want other software tools such as a Telnet client, Eudora
and a FTP client.
The above factors are inter-dependent. Don't be afraid to explore!
Please contact the office with questions. Our volunteers do an excellent
job assisting users to make things work.
- E-mail readers - There are a number of options for reading and
writing e-mail. Pine, Eudora, Web mail, Netscape, Outlook Express and Arachne
are some of the more common mail readers.
- PPP connections are dependent on individual hardware and software.
Various configurations are possible.
- For access to pictures and sounds you will need a graphical browser
as well as your PPP connection.
- Access to accounts using a terminal dial-up program will not be
affected. The time allowed on dial-up connections is set for 60, 90 or 120
minutes per login depending on the percent of users on line at login. All
serial dial-up users (both PC and Macintosh) should be able to use Eudora
to pick up e-mail.
- Receipts will be given to all users who sign up for PPP.
- The user is responsible should VTN incur bank charges from NSF
- At this time VTN is not required to pay GST. It may be required in the
future, if so the GST cost will be added at that time.
Previous VTN Upgrade announcement