Botany B.C. 2001 | Information Package | Registration Form
BOTANY B.C. 2001 - Smithers
(co-sponsored by Northwest Field School, Smithers)
Botany BC 2001 will be held at Glenwood Hall (aka Driftwood Hall) which is approximately a 15-20 minute drive out of Smithers in the heart of the rolling farmland of the beautiful Bulkley Valley.
The agenda is jam-packed with exciting botanical adventures, talks and fun events (botanical contests, skits, entertainment, etc.) -- see the attached schedule of events.
Because we would like everyone to be together in one place -- to socialize, get to know each other, and talk botany - we have arranged for all activities (talks, meals, socializing) to be based at the Glenwood Hall. Field trips will also leave from Glenwood Hall.
All meals except the banquet will be served at Glenwood Hall -- breakfast, packed lunches, and the Friday night supper, plus the wine and cheese reception on Thursday night.
The costs of all meals, except the banquet on Saturday and the packed lunch on Sunday, are included in the registration fee.
The banquet and entertainment will be held on Saturday night at the nearby Logpile Lodge.
For people wishing to go on the field trips being offered on Sunday, July 29th, there will be packed lunches available. Please fill in the appropriate section on the Registration Form if you need a packed lunch for a Sunday field trip.
Registration (see attached form)
The registration fee is $95.00 before March 31st 2001. After March 31, it will be $105.00. The deadline for all registrations is June 30, 2001. Numbers may be limited. The registration fee includes wine and cheese reception, 3 breakfasts, 2 packed lunches, 1 supper and all other associated costs (hall rental, van rental etc.).
We will have the use of some 12 passenger vans for transportation to and from the hall. These will be used to transport people to some of the field trip destinations. However, we assume that some participants will use their own vehicles.
Participants arriving without their own transportation (e.g., by plane) who will need assistance getting around are asked to fill out the appropriate section on the Registration Form OR contact Rosamund at email@example.com with full details (e.t.a.; where staying, numbers etc.)
Camping -- People can camp on the lawn at Glenwood Hall OR bed down on the floor of an adjacent building.
- There are NO fire pits, so if you want to heat water for late night hot toddies, washing etc. please bring a fuel stove.
- In the event that weather is unpleasant, or you would rather have a roof over your head, we have arranged for the use of an adjacent building. Bring bedroll (foamy) and sleeping bags and be prepared for dormitory style accommodation! There is no running water in this building and only outhouses.
- There is running water at the Glenwood Hall, but the kitchen will be closed to participants until the caterers are completely finished for the day.
- There are flush toilets (and outhouses) at the Glenwood Hall
Motels and lodges.
There are several motels in town. See below for names and phone numbers.
PLEASE NOTE: IF you are coming into town by plane and need transportation out to the hall, we ask that you register at one of the following places to make it easier for us to pick you up:
Other motels in town.
- Fireweed Motor Inn -- phone: (250) 847-2208; fax: 847-2344 -- downtown Smithers
Single queen size = $48.00 + tax
Double (2/ queen size bed) = $53.00 + tax
Two double beds/room = $58.00 + tax
- Stork Nest Inn -- phone: (250) 847-3831; fax: 847-3852 -- downtown Smithers
Single = $58.50*
Double = $64.50*
Twin = $68.50*
*note all these prices include breakfast (but you also get breakfast at Glenwood Hall).
- Logpile Lodge -- (250) 847-5152 - upscale, log building -- in beautiful location out in the country, 5 minutes from Glenwood Hall -- only a few spaces, MUST REGISTER A.S.A.P.. Off-season prices offered to Botany BC participants (please identify yourself as being part of Botany BC when making your booking). Note the following prices apparently include breakfast!!
Double occupancy, 1 bed = $ 90.00 Single occupancy = $ 80.00
Double occupancy, 2 beds = $ 100.00 Honeymoon suite (!) = $ 115.00
Extra person = $ 20.00
Aspen Motor Inn (250) 847-4551 Hudsonís Bay Lodge (hotel) (250) 847-4581
Capri Motor Inn (250) 847-4226 Sandman (250) 847-2637
Florence Motel (250) 847-2678 Sorrento Inn (250) 847-2601
Event of Interest to Botanists
July 25-26, 2001. Course on Identification of Grasses and Sedges, Northwest Field School, Smithers. Taught by Jim and Rosamund Pojar -- This is a beginnerís course timed to immediately precede Botany BC. If you would like to be sent more information about this and other Field School courses being offered this coming summer, please contact Rosamund at firstname.lastname@example.org.